Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Cocktail Cupcakes

We're headed to Hilton Head on Saturday for the Mason's annual family vacation, so I figured what better way to start the holiday than by making some cupcakes inspired by everyone's favorite fruity beach drinks?

The picture doesn't show much, but I made Strawberry Daiquiri and Pina Colada Cupcakes!

Will's dad's birthday is tomorrow, too, so I had double the reason to make a double batch.  Both cupcakes have a little rum in them to give them a more authentic flavor.  I added grated lime zest to the Strawberry Daiquiri frosting while the Pina Colada frosting got another splash of rum, some pineapple tidbits with juice and a coconut sprinkle on top.  Bring on the Summer Beach Vacations!

1 comment:

Kelly said...

I hope you used a recipe that called for rum.... If not, your cupcakes will turn out rubbery like the creme de menthe cake I made years ago. I thought if a little was good, a little more would be better. But unfortunately, that's not the case when baking with alcohol. I think liquor burns up when you bake it, so the batter dries out too much if the recipe doesn't have enough other moisture. Anyhow, they sound mmm, mmm good - especially the frosting.