Thursday, May 12, 2011

Plusses and Minuses

I am celebrating my 29th birthday in Decatur today. There are plusses and minuses to this.

The Bad:
- the most obvious, and the reason I am home, is that my Grandma is sick and in the hospital. We got a call on Tuesday morning that she was not doing well, and the doctors suggested that her family make their way back home. Uncle Bobby and I got straight in the car and drove up from Nashville as soon as we could.
- we have been spending a lot of time in an ICU waiting room, which is just not a fun place to be, regardless of who is sick. There has been quite a fair share of drama the past few days. Thankfully it has involved other families...
- Will is still in Nashville, which means we won't be able to celebrate my last birthday in my twenties together. I miss him.
- I am missing work, which means I will be behind. But obviously, I am where I need to be right now.
- This is my last birthday with a "2" as the first number. Yikes.

The Good:
- Blair just walked into the room, which means that all 9 of Grandma's kids are now in Decatur. It's good to have everyone together, even if it is for a not-so-great reason.
- Grandma has been steadily improving since Tuesday. They just took her ventilator out and she is able to talk now, much to evereyone's relief.
- I have been able to reply to everyone who has written me a birthday greeting on facebook today. The benefits of having lots of time and free WiFi at the hospital.
- I was greeted first thing this morning by my sweet, adorable, smiling niece, who gave me a hug and a "happy birthday" and a promise of all things sparkly for my presents.
- I was able to go with Molly to her ultrasound appointment this morning and see my niece/nephew! I am so excited for his/her arrival! Maybe
before I head back to Nashville?...
- I was able to see some reception venues with Kelly yesterday, which makes me feel less like an absentee maid of honor.
- I don't get to spend my birthday with Will, but I do get to spend my day with my Grandma, both my brothers, my sister, my parents, my
niece, and lots of cousins, aunts, uncles.

Plusses and minuses, for sure.

1 comment:

Jess H said...

Your Grandma and family are in my prayers. Way to look at the bright side! There were some pretty special plusses in that list!