Tuesday, October 6, 2009

All Things Music Edition.

(Quick shout-out to Leslie for adding a playlist to her blog this morning. She was the inspiration behind this post!)

(And on a COMPLETELY unrelated note, another quick shout-out to Leslie's husband Ben. He graced our trivia team with his presence a couple weeks ago while he was in the area for business meetings. Undoubtedly his random knowledge of useless facts led our team to an all-time high score of 2nd place!...minus the time that I wasn't there and the team got 1st place...which I don't count...because it's my blog and I don't have to count it if I don't want to. (Seriously, who else would know that Cindy Crawford was the supermodel who was featured shaving kd lang's head on the cover of Vanity Fair?) Incidentally, we have yet to match our score from that night. (We aren't that great at trivia.) He also came up with a fantastic team name...The Savage Egg Reapers...which was mistakenly read as The Sausage Egg Reapers by the trivia host. A little late, but Ben deserves some recognition. Nicely done, sir. Nicely done.)

(And now, back to the All Things Music Edition...)

I love, love, love music of any kind. Some genres more than others, but seriously, I love everything from hip-hop and rap to bluegrass and country to rock and roll to cheesy pop and dance music to latin to broadway tunes and classical. My i-pod looks like it has multiple personalities. I can't get enough of it.

I have been working on making some playlists for Andy and Sandy's wedding weekend, so I've had my i-tunes up more than usual the past few weeks. I'm in charge of rehearsal dinner music, a "girls' night out" mix, and then background music for the hospitality room at the hotel for relaxing in between the ceremony and the reception.

Can I just say how much I enjoy making playlists? I've always thought I'd be great at making movie soundtracks. I love how you can always find a perfect song to match your emotions, or thoughts, or heck, even the weather. For instance, it's a dreary, rainy, chilly day here in Nashville. My soundtrack of choice today? I and Love and You, the new album from The Avett Brothers. (I can Not. Get. Enough. Of this album. If you haven't heard of The Avett Brothers, I suggest downloading some of their stuff. They're fantastic. I've been following them for years and they're finally starting to get the recognition they deserve. I'm also really excited to go see them play at The Ryman Auditorium on Halloween. Talk about a good time! WOO HOO!)

But, I digress. As I'm working on these playlists, I'm open to suggestions from my peanut gallery of readers. When you think "rehearsal dinner" or "relaxing in a hospitality room between a wedding and the reception" what type of music do you imagine? Any songs in particular jump into your head? Just curious...

And...I'm totally side-tracked right now. I have too many thoughts going through my head. I leave for the wedding tomorrow afternoon and my brain is running in a million different directions. I'm making mental lists of what to pack (don't forget the bridesmaid dress, don't forget the bridesmaid dress), doing laundry, trying to clean on my lunch break so there's less to clean when I get home on Monday, scrambling to finish last-minute work so my co-workers aren't left in a tight spot while I'm gone, etc...

Speaking of which, lunch break is over. Off to a webinar.

And PS- I realize that this blog was not-so-much all things music. I'll try harder next time to appropriately title my blogs. Random ramblings are hard to title.

No comments: