Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Sweet Home Decatur

I took an impromptu trip home to Decatur this past weekend to help Mom and Dad work their booth at the Farmers' Market.  My parents' friend Seka owns a bakery in Champaign called Pekara, and Mom and Dad have been selling their goods at the Decatur Farmers' Market this summer.  Every Saturday morning Dad gets up super early and drives to Champaign to pick up freshly baked breads, croissants, danishes, scones, cinammon rolls, and cookies from the bakery, and then races back to Decatur to have the goodies on display by 8 AM.  They have nearly sold out every week they've been at the market, so Mom is seriously considering opening a "franchise" of Pekara in Decatur, either downtown or in South Shores.  I was a little hesistant when she told me her "opening a bakery" idea, but after seeing how successful they have been selling the breads at the market, maybe I'm wrong.  Everything they sell is freshly baked, all natural, and insanely delicious!  For any of you folks who have friends and family who are still in Decatur, stop by and see my parents on Saturday mornings in Central Park! 

The other perk of going home? Seeing Kelly!  I really, really miss having girl friends near me down here in Nashville, so it's always nice to get to hang out with my bestest friend.  I love that no matter how much time passes between our visits, nothing about "us" changes.  We fall right back into our routine- she practically lives at my parents' house while I'm in town.  Kelly is Mom and Dad's favorite "daughter".  :) We had a girls' night out on Saturday and I guess I had a little too much fun- I felt too awful to make the drive back to Nashville on Sunday.  Not that that bothered me, once I woke up (for the second time) that afternoon, I felt well enough to hang out with Mom and Dad and enjoy a lovedly homecooked dinner. 

I loathe, detest, despise the boring, dull, slow 6 1/2 hour drive back to Decatur, but it was certainly nice to be home.



No comments: