Well, here we go! After enjoying Leslie's blogs so much I have decided that I should start keeping my own blog. Not that anything terribly exciting happens in my life, but it will be nice to keep a day-to-day memento of what's happening with me right now. After reading Leslie's blogs I feel like I don't do much during the day except work and come home, so I guess I'll have to start with last weekend!
On Friday night Will and I decided to try our luck at the local casino. About 25 miles outside of Denver there's an old mine town called Blackhawk. Apparently the town was doing really badly since the mines closed down, so they were approved to have casinos. The town itself is really small, but it's nice to have a place to gamble nearby. Our big goal right now is to get to Vegas by the end of the summer. I have never gone before, and I'm beginning to feel deprived. Almost 26 and never set foot on The Strip?! That's just crazy! We are saving up for flights and hotel, but I also feel like I need to get some "skills" so I know what I'm doing once I hit the blackjack tables. Blackhawk has $5 limit limited gambling, so we headed up there so I could "practice." I actually came home $10 richer, which I was very excited about! Not a lot of money at all, but it sure beats my usual routine of losing $40! Will won $20 so overall we came home $30 richer that night. A successful trip to the casino!
Saturday morning we woke up to a gorgeous Denver day. Definitely one of those days when we are thankful that we decided to move out west. We debated on what to do for the day- a hike in Boulder, or a bike ride in Denver. The bike ride won. Denver has great bike trails that pretty much take you all over town without needing to ride on the streets too much, which I really appreciate. The people here are very respectful of bikers, but it still makes me nervous to bike down busy roads! We packed some sandwiches and a frisbee and biked about 8 miles or so to Washington Park, a big park south of our apartment. We had never been to the park before, but it was great! There were people everywhere just enjoying the weather like we were...that's one thing I love about Denver- people here are so active and ready to play all the time! There were BBQ's and volleyball games and kites flying and people playing catch- it felt like the whole town was out!
On our way home from the park we decided to stop by Coors Field to see if we could get some cheap tickets to the Rockies game- their 2nd game of the season. I will ALWAYS be a Cardinals fan, but I decided this year that it's OK to root for 2 different teams, so now the Rockies are my #2 team (it beats rooting for the Cubs!) We lucked out and got $4 bleacher tickets so we had our night planned, too! I really love going to baseball games. Mostly because I love to people-watch, but I also just really love the game. A lot of people find it boring, but I think it's exciting! And, I adore stadium nachos. You just can't find them that good anywhere else. Too bad the weather changed on us! The game was FREEZING!! It was windy and cold and pretty miserable, so we took off after the 7th inning stretch. (That's a rule of mine- no leaving the game til the 7th inning stretch is over.) We didn't miss much, though- The Rockies lost to the Diamondbacks.
Sunday we woke up to another beautiful, but chillly day. It's amazing how quickly the weather changes here. You can seriously have all 4 seasons in one day! We had plans to meet some friends in the bleachers again, so we headed to our 2nd Rockies game of the season. The night before, we were way underdressed and froze. On Sunday, though, we were way OVERdressed. It was HOT in the sun. I have a strange looking sunburn on my face and arms to prove it. Nothing worse that weird farmer's tan from wearing 3/4 length shirts! Unfortunately, the Rockies aren't enjoying the same luck that they had last season- they lost this game, too. Rocky start (pun intended!) =)
By the way, the picture up top is from the NLCS game we went to last season. Will made fun of me because I took so many pictures of their main screen, but I absolutely love it! It's so vibrant and colorful!
So that's the weekend. Nothing too outlandish and nuts, but a lot of fun. We are enjoying living close enough to downtown to be able to walk, but still having a lot of nature at our fingertips. There's talk of a camping trip this weekend, we'll have to see if the weather cooperates.
No comments:
Post a Comment