Monday, November 10, 2008

Chicago...

...is my kind of town! Will and I drove up from Nashville for the weekend to visit friends and to go to the Bears/Titans game. It felt sooo great to be back in the city again! I haven't spent any time here since we moved to Denver last September, so it was especially nice to get back. I didn't realize how much I missed Chicago til now.

We got a great hotel rate at the Wyndham downtown thanks to our friend Megan, who works there. While we didn't get in til after midnight, I was way too excited to be "home" again and insisted we got out for a little while. We headed over to Fado, one of my favorite bars in Chicago, and had a couple drinks before we hit the hay.

Saturday was a busy day for us. We had so many people we wanted to see, and not a lot of time to do it! Megan's parents were in town, too, so we met them at a bar to have a couple drinks and watch the Michigan State/Purdue game. A few more friends joined us, and it really just felt like old times. It's funny how you can go away for a year and come back to see everything exactly the same as you remember. That is comforting to me.

A somewhat unfortunate (but deliciously sinful) part of the weekend was the caloric intake. I miss Chicago food! After the game, Will, Shelley, Abby, and I headed to Portillos to indulge. You can not find Italian beef like Portillos anywhere else on the planet. So yummy.

We then made a quick trip up to Wrigleyville, our old hood, to drop the girls off and to stop by Strange Cargo. I also miss that store! You can create your own t-shirts there, so I had a new Bears shirt made for the game. I wish we could have spent more time up in the old neighborhood, but we had to get back to the hotel to get ready to see some more friends.

We met up with some of Will's old college friends in Bucktown for dinner at Bluefin. Ahhh, sushi. We have eaten sushi exactly twice since we left Chicago, so it was especially delicious. I hope we can find a good sushi spot in Nashville! John and Erika just had a baby 3 months ago, so we were able to meet Zoe. It's been a while since I've been around infants, but man, she is super tiny! And extremely adorable. John, Erika, and Zoe are hoping to move to Nashville soon. They don't want to raise Zoe in the city, and want to be equidistant from their families, so they've decided Nashville is a good spot. Their condo is on the market, and I'm really hoping that they sell it so they can get down there and be our neighbors!

After dinner we said goodbye to the baby and the Rohrichs and met up with the girls. My old roommate Mark came out for awhile. Again, felt like old times. :) I thought I called it an early night since we had the game to go to the following morning, but in typical Chicago fashion, we didn't get home til about 3:30. Where does the time go when you're out??

In the words of Elvis, on Sunday we woke up to a "cold and grey Chicago morning". Perfect football weather! Well, in my opinion, it could have been about 20 degrees warmer, but good football weather, nonetheless. We layered up and hopped in a cab with John and Erika to get to Soldier field. Will had won 4 tickets in an auction, and decided to give the other pair to the new parents. We figured they could use the break and might enjoy being "single" again. Erika did surprisingly well considering this was the longest amount of time she had spent away from Zoe since she was born. The game was a ton of fun. Our seats were AWESOME. About 12 rows up on the North end zone. The Bears ended up losing but it was hard to be upset about it since that put the Titans at 9-0. And since the Titans are now my #2 team, I was happy regardless of the outcome. We froze at the game, though. At one point it was actually snowing. Brrrr.

I convinced Will to walk back to the hotel from Soldier Field as opposed to taking a cab. I really miss just walking around the city. It is a gorgeous town. We grabbed some hot chocolate and had a nice little stroll back along Michigan Avenue. We spent the rest of the evening relaxing in the hot tub and then gorging on Giordanos pizza. Another treat for us. Yummy.

Sorry for a long blog, but it was just so great being back in familiar territory. We both decided that we need to make an effort to get back more often. Over the weekend we agreed that if we could transport the city of Chicago to Denver's background of mountains, we would never leave.

I'll try to post pics as soon as my friends post theirs from the weekend. I really need to buy a new camera! Hope everyone had a great weekend!

No comments: