Saturday, January 30, 2010

Well, Hello Winter!

...welcome to Nashville! We've been expecting you for awhile. And after one false alarm (and might I add, a lot of hype, hoopla, school cancellations, and general hysteria) a couple months ago, you finally graced us with your presence yesterday and today. A Nashville based blog I follow nicknames the "snow storms" that come through the area. "Snowpocalypse '09" was a huge disappointment (except to the thousands of school kids who had no class, as Nashville tends to cancel school before any weather actually hits the area) and we got barely a dusting of snow. "The Situation 2010" (Jersey Shore fans?? Get it? Get it??) was a great success, though! We actually had a pretty nasty storm come through yesterday, leaving the city virtually shut down.


Will and I love it. It's nice to put on our puffy coats (which are usually scoffed at down here because it's just too warm to wear them) and boots and hike around. This is the first place I've ever lived where snow isn't a normal part of winter. It's amazing to see how freaked out Nashvillians get when snow hits the ground. In their defense, 'round these parts snow usually shows up with a friend- ice. And ice is not a welcome guest- more like a dangerous party crasher. The biggest problem is that the south just doesn't have the same resources to take care of ice and snow. Since snow rarely hits the area, there aren't a lot of plows, and that means that roads aren't plowed nearly often enough, if at all. Will drove into work at 5:30 this morning, and said he had a heck of a time. A drive (on a fairly busy road) that normally takes him 15 minutes, took 40 minutes (because it hadn't been touched by a plow yet)...and he has 4 wheel drive. He's not complaining though. Will's such a winter baby. I love watching his face literally light up with delight when he sees snow on the ground. It's his happy place.


I went walking around downtown this morning to capture some of "The Situation" on camera. It was so quiet out! No one driving on the streets, and very few people walking around. I ran into a few other picture takers, and we shared a few words about how great it is to see winter arrive. Ironically, I talked to 3 different people who were out walking around, and none of them were locals. We all lived up north before. I guess southerners just really don't like the snow! My favorite part of the walk? All the untouched snow. The best thing about snow is being the first one to step in it and mess it up. Love. it. Also, the snow here is unique because it formed a layer of ice on top of it, so you get an extra satisfying crunch every time you step down. Ahh, heaven.


It's been a cozy winter afternoon. I've showered for the day, but put my PJs back on, there's chili simmering in the crock pot for dinner tonight, my blog is (finally!) being updated, and Will is due home in about a 1/2 hour. Here are some pictures from my morning walk!


The Batman and the Ryman, all decked out in a dusting of white powder: The Honky Tonks, looking very quiet (for once):The little park right around the corner from our place: Our local Vietnam Veterans Memorial (surrounded by pristine, untouched snow) (that scene quickly disappeared as soon as I took the photo): Snow and ice- with their powers combined, they are able to cause a LOT of bruised tailbones the world over (luckily mine wasn't one of them...today):Frozen over fountain:
The state capital: Sledding on capital hill:
News helicopters capturing the sledders (because, Gasp! People were out and about enjoying the white stuff) (Also, what is my obsession with helicopters lately??):Nashville: Country and Blues and monuments paying tribute to them:
And finally, what would a tour of scenic snow-covered Nashville be without a picture of a man and his guitar, walking down a winter street?:

1 comment:

Kate said...

brrrrrr :) Cute photos Meaghan!