The casinos were full of slot machines and had a few card tables. We didn't do too much gambling, but I did manage to come out $20 up so I was happy! We finally planned our trip to Vegas so I got to practice playing blackjack with my winnings. I am really starting to like that game. Cripple Creek doesn't have much else to do in town except gamble, so we spent a lot of time relaxing in the room and watching cable tv- a real treat for us!
The highlight of the weekend was walking up Third Street, the street the locals have named "Heart Attack Hill." The street is really steep- so steep that they give anyone who can walk up it a certificate saying that they made it up successfully. Will and I walked it, twice! We were very proud of ourselves. Unfortunately we only got one certificate. I guess walking up it twice is just showing off. The picture I took doesn't really do the hill justice- we were gasping for air by the time we made it to the hotel!
I also got a kick out of one of the store signs. Denver is called "The Mile High City" because it lies at 5280 feet. Cripple Creek is at 9400 feet, so I loved that they had an ice cream shop there that was home to the "2 Mile High Ice Cream."
Sunday morning we headed back toward Denver, but stopped by Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs. The only time I had been there before was on a family vacation when I was 13. I didn't realize that it's actually a city park. I also forgot how pretty it is! We took some really nice pictures of Pikes Peak from the Visitors Center, but didn't stick around long. It was a busy day there, and we found out there are bike trails, so we decided to go back a different weekend so we could camp and go riding on some trails.
1 comment:
Hey Meaghan I have a picture of your Grandparents in Cripple Creek. They were really young then too. I'll send it to you.
Post a Comment