Friday, December 12, 2008

Confession time...

Working from home can be boring. I miss having human interaction during the day. I am definitely not the type that is happy to sit alone all the time. Don't get me wrong, some days it's really nice to roll out of bed, stay in my pajamas, and have a 15 second commute from the bedroom to the "office". But for the most part, I'm not really into it. I need to look into finding a job that allows me to be around people. I just wish I knew what my calling in life was! It's especially hard since I don't know many people in Nashville yet, aside from Will's family. So even after work is done for the day, I'm still not that involved with other people, except Will. We have fun together, but I would really enjoy having a social outlet in my new town. That, however, is not my confession.

During the day I try very hard to avoid the temptation of turning the TV on. This is no small feat, especially since my job doesn't involve a huge amount of concentration- just patience. I could easily watch TV while getting my work done. And, on occasion, I have given in. However, I feel like this is somehow cheating my coworkers back in Denver who don't have the option of watching TV during their work day. Some days it's justified, though. I think about how they get social interaction and get to go to lunch together, so why can't I just catch the 12 o'clock episode of "No Reservations"? This, though, is not my confession either.

To prevent myself from turning the TV on, I use Pandora, an online radio where you can design your own stations around a song or an artist. This has been crucial to me since I started working from home in October. Since I don't get to talk to people during the day, I use my vocal chords in other ways. And now, finally, comes my confession. I love to listen to Broadway tunes and belt them out loudly while I work. I am fortunate enough to have learned lots of lyrics while working at the Fox in college, and listening to the station brings back fantastic memories from my "younger" years. I don't claim to have the greatest voice in the world, but when I'm singing "Phantom" or "Aida" I suddenly feel like the next Celine Dion. :) And I won't lie...chair dancing is sometimes involved, as well. And yes, I also sing in character, depending on the song. One can not sing "Hakuna Matata" without sounding like Pumba and Timon.

I feel better getting that off my chest. Thanks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You too? I also sound pretty great when nobody over the age of five is around! :)

Morgan said...

Are you doing recruiting from home now?