Wednesday, November 16, 2011

30 Days of Thankfulness-Day 16

Day 16: I am thankful for my extended family members- cousins, grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc... Some relatives I keep in touch with regularly, be it through blogging, facebooking, texting, or phoning.  Others I don’t get to see as frequently.  For the past 4 years, I have lived too far from home for it to be a given that I make it back to Decatur for holidays.  I remember the first year I missed Thanksgiving at Mark and Pam’s house.  We were living in Denver at the time, and it wasn’t feasible for me to fly back home, so our friend Jess graciously offered to let us celebrate with her family.  It was wonderful to be with family that day, but I distinctly remember getting choked up as I talked to my mom that afternoon.  I could hear everyone in the living room, talking, watching football, playing with babies, looking through Black Friday ads, shuffling cards for a poker game, and could practically smell the homemade noodles and gravy.  It was my first major holiday away from home, and I was definitely overcome with a feeling of sadness that I wasn’t able to be with my family that day.  Unfortunately it is just not as easy to zip home for Thanksgiving and Christmas these days, but it makes those times that I do get to catch up with everyone that much nicer.

1 comment:

Jess H said...

I remember our chat during football that cold cold morning. I got to know a lot about you on that short drive and I am very thankful that if you couldn't be with family, that you were with mine.